Educators spend a day out of the classroom with local employers, exploring industry trends and ways to connect their classroom content to the work world and best business practices during the upcoming Teachers in Industry program. Businesses may host from one to 30 educators at a time for 60-90 minutes.
Teachers in Industry Dates:
Tours will consist of meeting with 2-4 employers spanning a variety of business focuses, with each day usually concentrating on a general theme. Cost for these events is $10, which covers lunch and transportation to/from businesses. SCECHs may also be available.
The purpose of this professional development experience is to:
- Highlight information about local employer needs, labor market trends and new technologies relevant for teachers
- Help educators connect their classroom content to real world applications and business practices so that students are college- and career-ready
- And encourage meaningful collaboration between educators and the business community
- Grand Rapids Symphony: Visit the organization that has provided music for the community for more than 80 years. Discover how music, science and technology align to make sweet sounds that “moves the human soul.”
- Grand Rapids Art Museum: Focusing on art, design and creativity, the GRAM provides “diverse platforms for experiences, ideas and dialogue that enrich the human spirit and build practical learning skills.” See how you can appreciate art by integrating it across the curriculum.
- Mosaic Film Experience: “Working with local educators, Mosaic provides access to script writing and filmmaking workshops to help [students] articulate [their] own stories.” Hear how this local film festival is helping students develop their talents as well as explore careers in film.
Talk & Tour Dates
Talk & Tour Series
The Talk & Tour Series is a evening career exploration program designed to increase awareness of diverse careers available to students in high-demand career sectors.
Through an informal “talk show-style” format, a panel of professionals in select industries will share their own career path and the inside scoop on what their jobs are really like, along with their perspective on what you can do to prepare for a career you are interested in. This is your chance to ask questions, get valuable career information and take a solid step in figuring out your own career direction. A tour of the host site will provided, with a special focus on seeing the latest technology and innovation happening in the workplace. Each month a new industry/segment/topic will be highlighted.
Parents/guardians are encouraged to attend the Talk & Tour with their student!