- Sponsorship -

‘Vote!’ urges student, staff video

Godwin Heights — “There’s no such thing as a vote that doesn’t matter” — former President Barack Obama.

This is the message that sixth-grader Ayesha Medina Marti hopes members of the community get from a recent Godwin Middle School video on voting recently released on the school’s Facebook page.

“Not one of them is wasted,” Marti said, “and if someone says they’re wasted, they’re wrong.” 

The 40-second video was the idea of Community School Coordinator Margie Munoz, who was supported by staff including Intervention Specialist Alex Mosley. 

Munoz went to classrooms to record students saying the President Obama quote for the video. At the end of the video, Munoz talks about how people who aren’t eligible to vote can stay engaged in their community by encouraging others to vote and by contacting their representatives.

“The students have spent time discussing the issues facing our nation,”  she said. Through those discussions, the students saw the importance of being engaged and decided they wanted to do something to encourage people to vote. 

“So it can make a change in our life and to make this world better,” said sixth-grader Nevaeh Johnson about the voting video.

Mosley said he wanted to be involved because he wants everyone to know that if they exercise their right to vote, there would be a more representative government.

“I wanted to be part of this project because only about 58% of eligible voters voted in the 2016 election,” he said. “Every vote does matter when the other 42% of eligible voters could have voted.”

- Sponsorship -
Joanne Bailey-Boorsma
Joanne Bailey-Boorsma
Joanne Bailey-Boorsma covers Kent ISD and Godwin Heights. She was born in the Detroit area but grew up in Brighton where she attended Hartland Public Schools. The salutatorian for the Class of 1985, she changed her colors from blue and maize to green and white by attending Michigan State University, where she majored in journalism and minored in photography and German. She expanded her color palette to include orange and black as both her daughters graduated from Byron Center Public Schools; maroon and white for Aquinas College where her daughter studies nursing and also brought back blue and maize for Grand Rapids Community College where her youngest daughter currently is studying music. Read Joanne's full bio or email Joanne.

LATEST ARTICLES

Fourth-grade hockey fan gets a magical hour on ice: ‘I made the shot!’

Raised as a Red Wings and Grand Rapids Griffins hockey fan, Jackson Solow lights up while skating on an ice rink wearing his favorite hockey jersey...

‘This time it is continued learning’

One school’s switch from in-person to virtual education last week was nearly seamless, especially when compared with the forced school closure in March...

Foundation grants $28,285 in fall funding requests

Virtual phys ed and art experiences, materials to improve classroom focus and books on social issues aimed at middle-schoolers are among the grants approved this fall...

Latest school closings expand on state-ordered high school mandate

More Kent County districts continue to announce temporary school building closures, as schools contend with a sharp increase in COVID-19 cases in Kent County and Michigan...

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related Articles

A real team player

From bus schedules to substitute teaching, Ellen Veenkant helps where she can. And she’ll soon join a new team...

Schools in nine districts announce closures as COVID cases spike

New temporary school building closures were announced by nine school districts in Kent ISD this week, as schools contend with a sharp increase in COVID-19 cases in Kent County and Michigan...

Bringing individual value to shared space

An assignment based on a Detroit art project teaches students that they each help to build and shape their ‘neighborhood’...
- Sponsorship -

HOW'S SCHOOL TODAY?

Engagement: The Most Important Measure of Student Success

Polls find that students’ engagement in their school work declines as they ascend the grades. Tests that don’t relate to their real-life experiences exacerbate the problem...

RADEMACHER & FRIENDS

Food ‘angels’ support hungry kids through pandemic

They work all across Kent County, guardian angels with peanut butter on their hands and crumbs on their shirtsleeves...
- Sponsorship -

MEDIA PARTNERS

Maranda Where You LiveWGVU

SUSTAINING SPONSORS