East Grand Rapids — Chris Zylstra is the new athletic director for East Grand Rapids. SNN gets to know him in this edition of Meet Your Administrators.
Other positions you have held in education:
- Assistant principal and athletic director at Lakeview High School in Lakeview, Michigan
- Social studies teacher, assistant football coach and head baseball coach at Wyoming High School in Wyoming, Michigan
- Social studies teacher and assistant football, basketball and baseball coach at Quincy High School in Quincy, Michigan
- Social studies teacher and assistant football and baseball coach at South Aiken High School in Aiken, South Carolina
- Social studies teacher and head baseball coach at Strom Thurmond High School in Edgefield, South Carolina
What about jobs outside education? “My first job in high school was at Craig’s Cruisers. During summers in college, I worked in commercial flooring installation.”
Family life: Chris and his wife Bryttani have two daughters: Lawsyn, age 4, and Mara, just 10 months old.
- Aquinas College, Bachelor of Arts in Secondary Social Studies (2011)
- Western Governors University, Master of Science in Educational Leadership (2020)
Hobbies, interests or little-known talents: “I love spending time with my family and time at the lake in the summer, and playing golf. Not sure I have any little-known talents!”
What kind of kid were you as a high school student? “In high school I was a quiet and reserved student who participated in a variety of activities, including football and baseball as well as student council.”
If you could go back to school, which grade would you revisit? “This is a really tough question for me to answer. I think going back to any grade would be an awesome experience. There have been so many teachers and adults along the way who had a great influence on who I have become today. Especially in high school, there were so many teachers and coaches who made an impact on me.”