Kelloggsville — Marissa Lanser is the new dean of students at Kelloggsville Middle School. SNN gets to know her in this edition of Meet Your Administrator.
Other positions you have held in education:
- Early childhood teacher, NorthPointe Christian Schools, Grand Rapids
- Elementary teacher, Grand Rapids Public Schools
- Fifth- and sixth-grade English language learner teacher, school improvement chair, Wyoming Public Schools
How about jobs outside education? Lanser has also worked in marketing and sales for Ruby Lake Glass and Andela Products in New York and remotely. She has also coached freshman volleyball at East Grand Rapids High School, and worked in her family’s business, Lanser Construction.
‘Enjoy the small moments, build relationships and find the humor in situations.’— Marissa Lanser, Kelloggsville Middle School Dean of Students
- Bachelor of arts, education, Cornerstone University
- Master of educational leadership, Grand Valley State University
Outside of school, she spends time with her husband while also making time to play volleyball, soccer and golf. She plays in leagues for indoor and beach volleyball, and cornhole. Other interests are traveling and camping in Northern Michigan.
What kind of kid were you at the age of students at this new school? “Social and energetic. I participated in a lot of extracurricular activities.”
The biggest lesson she has learned from students is… the importance of finding balance.
“Enjoy the small moments, build relationships and find the humor in situations.”
If you could go back to school, to which grade would you return? Eighth grade, she said, “because of the amazing teachers and staff.”