Collaborative Youth Fair Showcases Student Work in After-School Programsby Kalli Zeilbauer
Grand Rapids Public Schools hosted the annual Collaborative Youth Fair this Spring at Creston High School. All GRPS schools with a LOOP after school program had a display table to showcase work, projects, and activities from the program. The student’s work was judged and awards were given.
The following students received awards for their performances:
- 1st Place - The Campau Barbies, Campau Park Elementary(repeat winners)
- 2nd Place - Ishmael Farfan, The Human Instrument, Mulick Park Elementary
- 3rd Place - Medina Averill and Fatuma Abdi, singing “This Girl is on Fire”, Campau Park Elementary
Booth award winners included:
- Secondary - Union High School, Austin Suttner and Chris Sanborn
- Elementary – Tie between Campus Elementary School, Cheryl Brewster and Aberdeen, Kim Vandenberg
- Overall Winner - Covell Elementary, Deatra Spearman (repeat winner)
Riverside Middle School, Westwood Middle School, Harrison Park School, Buchanan Elementary School, Burton Elementary School, Southwest Community Campus, and Shawmut Hills Elementary School were named as honorable mentions.
Other highlights of the event included free lunch, entertainment, games and activities, prizes, and group and individual performances, such as singing and dance.
LOOP is a free after school program that offers academic support. The program also has an array of youth enrichment activities including recreation, arts and cultural activities, field trips, and more.
Camp Fire USA, City of Grand Rapids Recreation Reaps Rewards (RRR), and the YMCA of Greater Grand Rapids manage the after school sites in collaboration with GRPS. These providers have expertise in youth development and coordinate with many other community partners to provide a variety of youth enrichment activities.
Connect:May 4th 2013