The top 20 posters in this year’s River City Water Festival Superheroes Contest have been selected and are on display through March 12 at the Grand Rapids Public Museum. Winners of the contest, open to areastudents in grades 5 to 7, were selected by a panel of judges with expertise in art, community engagement and water quality protection.
First place was sixth-grader Zoe Kukla, from Forest HIlls Public Schools’ Orchard View Elementary. Her design will be featured on posters for the March 12 event. The second and third place winners are, respectively, Yramiz Gonzalez, a fifth-grader at Grand Rapids Public Schools’ C.A. Frost Environmental Science Academy; and Claire van Zelst, a sixth-grader at Forest Hills Northern Trails 5/6.
An awards ceremony will be held at the museum at 10:30 a.m. on March 12. The top three winners will receive family memberships to the museum and classroom stormwater education presentations from the West Michigan Environmental Action Council’s Teach for the Watershed program staff.
The River City Water Festival is organized through a partnership between Groundswell and WMEAC. Financial support for the event comes from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency through the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, as well as the Grand Valley State University College of Education.
The Top 20 Contestants
- First place: Zoe Kukla, Orchard View Elementary
- Second place: Yramiz Gonzalez, C.A. Frost Environmental Science Academy
- Third place: Claire van Zelst, Northern Trails
- Angel Chung, Orchard View Elementary
- Jude Cleveland, Forest Hills Eastern
- Jaelyn Carlson, Central Woodlands
- Rylie Raddle, Northern Trails
- Hannah Baldes, Grand Rapids Montessori
- Molly Berg, Northern Trails
- Amber Troure and Isabel Scott, City Middle/High
- Alekya (no last name submitted), Orchard View Elementary
- Ben McKim, Orchard View Elementary
- Adrian Idziak and Nathan Hogenterp, City Middle/High
- Manuel Rose, Orchard View Elementary
- Liam Prins, Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Catholic School
- Jake Munger, Central Woodlands
- Peyton Smith, Orchard View Elementary
- Evan Meyer, Orchard View Elementary
- Ayla Zambrano and Paulina Alonzo, City Middle/High
- Amanda Francis, Orchard View Elementary
River City Water Festival