Following months of regular food distributions to combat hunger during the pandemic, several districts are extending those services over the holidays by continuing to offer grab-and-go style meals from school sites.
- Caledonia Community Schools will offer curbside meal pickup from 9 to 11 a.m. on Monday Dec. 21 and Dec. 28. Families will pick up five breakfasts and five lunches per child behind Duncan Lake Middle School, 9757 Duncan Lake Ave.
- Forest Hills Public Schools is offering food kits from 3 to 5 p.m. on Friday Dec. 18 and 11 to 1 p.m. on Wednesday Dec. 30 at the district food service building, 160 Alta Dale Ave. SE. Food kits will be packed with seven days’ worth of food, including breakfast and lunch for each child. They are free for all children up to age 18 and young adults with special needs up to age 26, regardless of level of need.
- Godfrey-Lee Public Schools is offering seven-day meal boxes from 8 a.m. to noon on Monday Dec. 21 and Dec. 28 at Lee High School, 1335 Lee St. SW.
- Godwin Heights Public Schools is offering 200 boxes of food on Monday Dec. 21 and Dec. 28 at Godwin Heights High School, 50 35th St. SW, on a first-come, first-served basis. Participants do not need to have student in the school to get a box.
- Kentwood Public Schools is offering meals for individuals 18 and younger from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Tuesday Dec. 22 and 29 at Valleywood Middle School, 1150 St. SE; the East Kentwood Freshman Campus, 6170 Valley Lane Drive SE and Crestwood Middle School, 2674 44th St. SE. Each person will receive seven days’ worth of breakfast and lunch items.
- Lowell Area Schools is offering a free five-day meal package for pickup from 9 to 10:30 a.m. and 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. in front of the cafeteria at Lowell High School, 11700 Vergennes St. SE.
- Sparta Area Schools will distribute food from 9 to10 a.m. and 5 to 6 p.m. on Monday Dec. 21 and Dec. 28, at the main entrance of Sparta High School, 475 West Spartan Drive. Seven days’ worth of breakfast and lunch will be provided for each child.
- Thornapple-Kellogg Schools is offering meal pickups between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. Monday Dec. 21 and Dec. 28 at Thornapple Kellogg Middle School, 10375 Green Lake Road, Middleville. Each pickup will include seven breakfasts and seven lunches, a half-gallon of white milk and a half-gallon of chocolate milk. Recipients need to sign up for items.
For more information about food resources in the area, call United Way 211.